Once upon a time, I used to leave peanuts for this squirrel that liked to climb up the tree beside my apt and jump over to my balcony. He had this scar on his one ear. I named him Bad Ass- but I'm getting ahead of myself.
I have pics of Bad Ass looking thru the outside of the sliding glass door and WKat, who is on the inside staring back. Yeah ... it sure was cute..... up until Bad Ass decided to start hiding the peanuts in my garden pots. I came home (not once not twice but too many times) to find dirt all over the deck (like when a dog digs and the turf comes flying out) What a mess. Plus the aforementioned Bad Ass ruined my flowers with that rather zealous digging. And, to further bite the hand that feeds him, the little shit ate my marigolds flush to the top of the soil. Bastard rat with a long tail!! Marigolds are my fav (and apparently his).
My brother was over and I was bitching about Bad Ass. He said a bullet would solve my problem ! GASP!!! ACK!!! I chose to ignore the redneck's version of squirrel removal and opt for a more humane approach.
I tried trimming back the tree branches but Bad Ass did this tarzan like move to drop onto the deck. I ended up sprinkling chili powder on top of the soil. That way when he digs, he gets a shot of it up his snoz and onto his paws. And it worked. He packed up his nuts and moved on.